Where we have been so far...

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Arriving South Africa!

Well its been a while since our last post, simply because not every house has the internet let alone a computer in their place.

I (Shailen) have got my Laser Eye Surgery done, and boy was it an experience and a half. It all started on the tuesday that I arrived in South Africa. After travelling for about 20 or 30 hours and minimal sleep, we arrived in South Africa at 0630. My appointment was for the same day at 1030. I had tests done and they put some eyedrops in that dilated my pupils so much that it was almost as big as my iris! I was then approved and at 1230 I went in for the surgery. Now, I was given local anasthetic and so was awake for the whole procedure. I see him as he clamps my eyelids open and places this ring over my iris and then cuts the top layer of the cornea off. He folds the flap back and thats when my vision is all blurry and then I see (and hear) the laser working on my eyes. It was so hard to keep my eyes still as it worked because I just wanted to close my eyes but wasn't allowed to move. In 20 minutes it was all done and I was given some sexy spider-man goggles to put on, which had to stay on the whole day and the next couple of nights. The first night was hell because I was tired, nauseous and irritable due to my itchy eyes. The first 3 days were the worst but on the Friday I had the protective lens removed so it felt heaps better. I could slowly start to see more and more and now they are fine. No glasses or anything and things seem so much clearer!!
We arrived in Joburg on Tuesday and on Thursday Alisa flew out to England to meet up with her family. So I'll let her write and then I will write again after.

No comments: